- 02/04/15SignedOhio State(Football)
- 12/13/14VisitOhio State(Football)
- 12/10/14CommittedOhio State(Football)
- 07/26/14OfferSouthern California(Football)
- 06/21/14OfferUniversity of Miami(Football)
- 04/05/14VisitOhio State(Football)
- 12/04/13VisitMichigan State(Football)
- 12/04/13OfferNorth Carolina State(Football)
- 10/19/13VisitMichigan State(Football)
- 04/23/13OfferOhio State(Football)
- 01/30/13OfferMichigan State(Football)
- Ithaca 2021 WR/RB/OLB Zach Poff received a roster spot from DePauw
- Hudsonville 2021 QB/WR Brennan Hayes is visiting Northwood on 08/05...
- Caledonia 2021 RB/DE/KR Carson VanderHoff is visiting Michigan Tech...
- Detroit Catholic Central 2021 WR/CB/S Sam Dersa received a roster s...
- Livonia Stevenson 2021 RB Caden Woodall was offered by Pennsylvania
Wilcher furious with Urban Meyer for being dishonest with Mike Weber
For four years, MikeWeber was highly thought of in the recruiting world. Not just in the state of Michigan and the Midwest, but nationwide. All Weber wanted was to play for a winning college football for a program that had honest coaches.
Weber was completely torn over which school to choose- Michigan or Ohio State. He went back and forth all the way until the final minutes on National Signing Day before choosing to sign with the Buckeyes. He called both Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer before electing to sign with Ohio State.
Weber didn't want to hurt either coach, team, or fanbase's feelings with his decision; that's what made it so difficult. He looked so emotionally upset after signing with Ohio State because he knew how upset Michigan fans would be. This emotion and passion comes from years of being taught the right way to be a person from his parents and coaches at Cass Tech.
Just one day after signing with Ohio State, Weber’s future position coach, Stan Drayton, accepted the Chicago Bears’ offer to become their new running backs coach. Meyer most definitely knew Drayton was headed for greener pastures when talking to Weber one last time Wednesday morning. But he did the thing he knew would get Weber to sign with the Buckeyes, tell him Drayton was staying. That dishonesty had Cass Tech head coach, Thomas Wilcher, outraged. Wilcher spoke to Matt Dery Friday afternoon on 105.1.
“You can’t come up to the north with your pockets full and not give us respect, that’s not going to happen again,” Wilcher said. “I think Urban Meyer is going to have to step his game up.”
Weber likes to keep his word. He decommitted from Michigan because of the uncertainty and now feels the same way with Ohio State.
“This is why he decommitted from Michigan, he didn’t know. I’ve got to get him back, get his spirits back,” Wilcher said.
Wilcher noted that Weber and his family are down in the dumps. Wilcher is there for all of them and is doing his best to make them feel better.
“I can tell you right now that Mike Weber is not happy, Mike Weber’s family is not happy,” Wilcher said. “Mikey will have to go to school with a bunch of people saying ‘I told you so.’”
Asked if he wants to speak with Meyer, Wilcher said “that’s where it starts. It’s a black eye for the university.”
As for Weber, his hands are tied since he did indeed sign his binding National Letter of Intent. Wilcher noted if he does not want to play for the Buckeyes, Ohio State will have to accept his release of the signed National Letter of Intent. If that is to happen, Weber would be eligible to play elsewhere immediately.
“You want to know at least who has your back... That’s a problem,” Wilcher said.
Wilcher added that he, Weber, and Weber’s family have not talked about what their plans for his college choice are.
“If you’re released by your school, I don’t think you have to sit out (a season),” Wilcher said.
As for now, Wilcher wants to get the old, smiling Mike Weber back.
“He’s the most important person right now. I’ve got to worry about him, he’s the one that is hurting,” Wilcher said.
- Recruiting Activity
- 04/25/2019Michigan High School Graduates who will be Drafted or sign UDFA Deals this week (Story)
- 03/01/2019Cass Tech/Ohio State RB Mike Weber runs a 4.48 and 4.49 at NFL Combine (Story)
- 02/27/2019Cass Tech / Ohio State RB Mike Weber measurements from 2019 NFL Combine
- 02/07/20195 Michigan HS grads invited to 2019 NFL Combine (Story)
- 01/01/2019Cass Tech 2015 RB Mike Weber had 15 carries for 96 yards in Ohio State's bowl game win
- 12/16/2018Ex-Cass Tech RB Mike Weber has declared for the NFL Draft
- 09/01/2018Former Cass Tech RB Mike Weber scores 4 TD's in Ohio State's week 1 game (Story)
- 07/10/2017Cass Tech / Ohio State RB Mike Weber selected for 2017 Maxwell Award Watchlist
- 05/14/2017Former Cass Tech RB Mike Weber ranked as 1 of College Football's Top 50 Players in 2017
- 02/07/2015Wilcher furious with Urban Meyer for being dishonest with Mike Weber
- 12/10/2014Mike Weber discusses commitment to Ohio State
- 11/22/2014Saline Knocks Out Cass Tech in D1 Heavyweight Semi-Final, 30-15
- 11/01/2014Weber runs wild on Warren Mott, plans to visit other schools
- 10/29/2014Cass Tech RB Mike Weber, Week 9 Player of the Week Presented by Varsity Nation
- 10/20/2014No shortage of talent once again in PSL title game between Cass Tech and King
- 10/04/2014Cass Tech escapes with a 21-16 win over East English Village Prep
- 09/20/2014Distractions or not, Detroit Cass Tech is still 4-0
- 08/30/2014Weber and Cass Tech outduel Kelly and Oak Park
- 08/19/2014Daryl Graham of Developing Great Athletes provides evaluations on some of his upcoming players
- 08/06/2014Cass Tech coach talks about what Mike Weber brings to Michigan
- 05/27/2014Michigan and Ohio State misspell key words trying to impress Mike Weber
- 05/01/2014Post-season follow-up with RB Coach, Daryl Graham
- 03/06/2014Cass Tech 2015 RB Mike Weber receives his 10th offer from Purdue University
- 11/16/2013A tale of two halves, Cass Tech uses dominant 2nd half to win Regions over Dakota 32-17
- 09/06/2013Mike Weber and John Kelly, Two Runningbacks that go Pound for Pound with one another
- 08/31/2013Webb and Weber lead Cass Tech past Southfield
- 02/19/2013Interview with 2015 RB Mike Weber