- 06/03/18CampGrand Valley State(Football)
- 05/09/18OfferPenn State(Football)
- 05/01/18OfferMichigan State(Football)
- 04/09/18OfferAir Force Falcons(Football)
- 04/05/18OfferBoston College(Football)
- 04/04/18VisitPenn State(Football)
- 02/03/18CampCamp Pride(Football)
- 01/15/18OfferSeton Hill(Football)
- 01/15/18OfferEastern Michigan(Football)
- 11/30/17OfferIowa State(Football)
- 11/27/17OfferNorthern Illinois(Football)
- 10/25/17OfferWestern Michigan(Football)
- 10/21/17VisitMichigan State(Football)
- 10/12/17OfferBall State(Football)
- 09/30/17OfferBowling Green State(Football)
- 09/30/17VisitBowling Green State(Football)
- 09/23/17VisitCentral Michigan(Football)
- 09/23/17OfferCentral Michigan(Football)
- Marquette 2020 WR Collin Hicks was offered by Northern Michigan
- Notre Dame Prep 2020 K/P Julian Lee received a roster spot from Albion
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central 2020 MLB Matt Moore is visiting Hope ...
- Grand Rapids Catholic Central 2020 MLB/RB Matt Moore received a ros...
- DeWitt 2020 TE Mason Gilbert was offered by Dartmouth
Ruke Orhorhoro is going to Clemson and only started playing football a year ago (Story by: Evan Paputa)
Among the countless future Division 1 players in Saturday’s Prep Kickoff Classic matchup between River Rouge and Cass Tech was a 6-foot-5, 270-pound gentle giant that possesses the agility most high school running backs only dream of and strength most linemen would die for. His name is Ruke Orhorhoro.
The River Rouge senior defensive lineman does not get the publicity or accolades that other top players in the state do but he is quietly putting together an impressive résumé as one of the state’s most dominant players.
“Off the field, he is a great young man. He goes to church every Sunday and works his butt off in the classroom. We are lucky to have him,” River Rouge head coach Corey Parker said.
Only telling the story of Orhorhoro receiving dozens of scholarship offers and deciding to commit his future to Clemson University would not do him justice.
Up until last season, Orhorhoro had never played a down of football. He was a part of the River Rouge basketball program that made a deep run in the playoffs as a sophomore in 2017.
One day in the winter of 2017, Parker used one of his best recruiting lures and went to basketball practice.
“A coach’s best recruiting tool is to go to basketball practice and find out who wasn’t really a great (basketball) player, but a big kid. I just kept asking- ‘hey man, are you interested in playing football?’” Parker recalled. “He (Orhorhoro) came to me after the semifinal (basketball) loss and said ‘coach, my first love is football, I want to play.”
Following River Rouge’s run to the Class B basketball semifinal in 2017, Orhorhoro approached Parker and told him he was all in for playing football.
“Coach Parker came into basketball practice one day and checked me out and asked me if I liked football. I told him I always wanted to play football, it has been my first love, but i never got the chance to. Ever since then, it has been a blessing,” Orhorhoro said.
With Orhorhoro in the fold, Parker and the River Rouge football team once again found success on the gridiron in 2017. They returned to the MHSAA Division 4 semifinals for the second year in a row and continued driving the program in the right direction.
Although Orhorhoro had success in his first season on the gridiron, it did not come as easy as some would imagine.
“Oh man, it was not always easy. A lot of tough practices where my body was hurting, but I couldn’t stop. Coach (Parker) kept asking if football was for me and encouraging me to push through it and I’m glad he did,” Orhorhoro said.
Once the season ended, Orhorhoro’s name took off on the camp circuit where high level Division 1 colleges began to take notice of a prospect most had never heard of. When it was all said and done, Orhorhoro received 25 scholarship offers highlighted by the likes of Michigan State, Penn State, and Clemson.
But how did Clemson University-- located in northwest South Carolina-- find and target Orhorhoro?
“The coaches said they watched his tape and saw his size, agility, aggression, and willingness to learn football and were impressed. They have a defensive line unit so he is going to be with guys just like him and fit right in,” Parker said.
Orhorhoro will join Joe Carolan-- a defensive end in the class of 1975, from Grosse Pointe Farms and graduate of University Liggett-- as the only other player from the state of Michigan to ever play football on scholarship for Clemson.
Recruiting and interacting with the Clemson coaches was just a little bit different for Orhorhoro than it was for Carolan.
“It’s actually a pretty funny story. Coach V (defensive coordinator, Brent Venables) followed me on Twitter. I tried to follow him back but his account is locked so we were unfollowing and playing following tag for a while before we connected and I gave him my number. We talked on the phone a few times and built a relationship,” Orhorhoro said.
As a whole, recruiting was an enjoyable process for Orhorhoro thanks in large part to it only lasting about 12 months unlike other top recruits that start the process in eighth or ninth grade.
“I really liked going on the road trips and visits; just seeing everything. My least favorite part was probably the lies. Coaches lie to you day in, day out. As soon as I went to Clemson, I knew it was for me,” Orhorhoro said.
When Orhorhoro enrolls at Clemson next fall and attempts to tackle college football in one of the top programs in the country, it will not be a surprise to Parker if he exceeds expectations.
“I think it’s going to be a fantastic fit for him. He is looking to be a a part of something, not go and be the “I” guy,” Parker said.
- Recruiting Activity
- 10/23/2018Game Preview and Prospects The D Zone will be seeing at Detroit King and River Rouge (Story)
- 10/01/2018Prospects Recap from Harper Woods and River Rouge (Story)
- 09/27/2018Prospects The D Zone will be seeing on 9/28 (Story)
- 08/28/2018Ruke Orhorhoro is going to Clemson and only started playing football a year ago (Story by: Evan Paputa)
- 08/21/2018The D Zone's Top 10 Class of 2019 Football Recruiting Rankings
- 08/18/2018By Terry Foster: Corey Parker and River Rouge, a perfect match (Story)
- 06/15/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro has committed to Clemson (Story)
- 06/13/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro is visiting Clemson today (Story)
- 06/09/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro is taking Official Visit to Kentucky this weekend (Story)
- 05/29/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro releases his Top 4 (Story)
- 05/10/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Duke (Story)
- 05/09/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Penn State (Story)
- 05/01/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Michigan State (Story)
- 04/28/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Clemson and Pittsburgh (Story)
- 04/09/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Air Force (Story)
- 04/06/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Boston College (Story)
- 03/31/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro is visiting SEC program he holds offer from this weekend (Story)
- 03/17/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Michigan (Story)
- 03/17/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro is visiting Big 10 program today (Story)
- 03/06/20182019 Ruke Orhorhoro recaps Notre Dame visit and talks recruiting process
- 03/02/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Cincinnati (Story)
- 02/08/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Missouri (Story)
- 01/31/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Iowa (Story)
- 01/26/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Purdue (Story)
- 01/24/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Minnesota (Story)
- 01/15/2018River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Eastern Michigan (Story)
- 12/01/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Iowa State and Kentucky
- 11/27/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Northern Illinois
- 10/25/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Indiana
- 10/25/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Western Michigan
- 10/24/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Syracuse
- 10/18/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro visits Big 10 School on 10/21/2017
- 10/12/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Ball State
- 10/04/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro visits Big 10 School on 10/7/2017
- 10/01/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro was offered by Bowling Green State
- 09/30/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro visits MAC School on 9/30/2017
- 09/23/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro discusses Central Michigan offer
- 09/19/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro visits MAC School on 9/23/2017
- 09/17/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro talks 1st offer from Toledo
- 09/13/2017River Rouge 2019 DE/OLB Ruke Orhorhoro discusses visit to Toledo on 9/16/2017