Recap of Mona Shores 30-24 OT win over Rockford

Written by
Sean Maloney

In a game that was sluggish at the start, this one ended up as a thriller. The atmosphere at Mona Shores was electric for their annual salute to the Armed Services game, which included a pre-game flyover, along with a start of the 2nd half helicopter departure. In fact, 19 young men and women even took their oath to serve our great nation during the break after the 1st Quarter.

Rockford got on the board first after Taylor Green blocked a Tristan Robbins punt and completed the scoop and score four minutes into the first frame. Mona Shores answered on the ensuing drive capping off an 85 yard scoring drive with touchdown by Ke'Sean Sandifer. The key play on the drive was a 51 yard scamper by Andrew Swick. The first half ended tied at 7, then the fireworks went off.

The Sailors struck first in the 2nd half scoring a touchdown midway through the 3rd quarter on a 51 yard burst off the right side by Damari Roberson. The play capped a 66 yard, 7 play drive, which pushed the score to 14-7 Sailors.

On the next drive, Shores had a 1st and goal at the Rockford 9 yard line, but the Rams defense, led by seniors, Khale Showers and Paul Reinke, stiffened and forced a 20 yard field goal advancing the score to 17-7.

The score remained 17-7 until Rockford capped off a 66 play drive with a with a 2 yard score by Maliq Thompson.

After the Rockford defense caused a turnover near midfield, Senior QB, Jason Whittaker started to take over. He hit Senior TE, Logan Lee on two key passes to help sustain the drive, resulting in another Rockford TD.

Whittaker called his own number around the left end for the score allowing the Rams to take a 21-17 lead with just over 5 minutes remaining.

That is when the play of the game happened. After the Sailors were backed up deep in their own end, while lining up to punt, an errant snap sailed over the head of punter, Tristan Robbins and looked destined to force a safety. However, Robbins corralled the ball and ran to his right, getting off a rugby style kick that traveled to the Sailors 28 yard line. Not the greatest result, but considering the circumstances, it was a huge play for the Sailors. Rockford could NOT put the nail in the Sailors coffin as the Shores defense caused a fumble at their own 36 while the Rams went backwards trying to run out the clock. The Sailor offense took over with just 2:05 to play trailing by 4. That is when Robbins went to work. After a few short pass completions, the Sailors decided to go up top to their big play receiver, Keyshawn Summerville. Summerville hauled in Robbins 45 yard pass at the pylon to score with just :56 seconds remaining to give Shores the lead 24-21.

After a squib kick on the ensuing kickoff, Northwestern commit, Jason Whittaker led the Rams out onto the field for what was certainly the games final drive. Whittaker hit on a few short passes, working the sidelines to maintain their final 2 timeouts. The Rams were able to advance to Shores 20 yard line after Whittaker delivered a strike to Maliq Thompson between the linebackers and the safety. With just :8 seconds remaining, the Rams called on Senior placekicker, Eric Zeboor. Zeboor lined up for the 37 yard field goal and his kick sailed through the uprights knotting the score at 24.

The Sailors won the OT coin toss and elected to go on defense. The Rams where thwarted on 3 plays and they again called on Zeboor. However, this time the snap was mishandled and Zeboor was unable to get the kick away. After that sequence, the Sailors had all the momentum that was needed and capped a 10 yard scoring drive on a 3rd down, 2 yard plunge by Sincere Dent.