New Lothrop wins Division Seven State Championship in an offensive shootout over Madison Heights Madison 50-44.

This was the highest scoring championship game in the history of the state finals. The previous record was 91 points. New Lothrop needed every point they scored to win this game. The game went back and forth in the second half but the Hornets were able to hold on for their second state title in program history.

First Half

It was all offense on display in the first half. 46 total points and almost 400 total yards by both teams in the first half. Rushing was the key for New Lothrop who averaged over six yards a carry and took a 30 to 16 lead into the half.

“Our offense played well and I have to give credit to our offensive line, there are four seniors on it and we wouldn’t be here without them” Head coach Clint Galvis said.

Madison Heights had chances to make it closer but an interception in the redzone and a blocked punt helped the Hornets take a 14 point lead into halftime.

New Lothrop’s Aidan Harrison had the biggest play in the first half with a 96 yard kick return touchdown to give the Hornets back a 14 point lead and it would stay that way going into halftime.

“I just saw a lane and it was a beautiful sight” Aidan Harrison said.

Second Half

Madison Heights came out strong to start the second half, going 69 yards down the field capped off by a one yard touchdown run by Austin Brown making it a one score game once again.

The Eagles would get the ball back and tie the game up with another one yard touchdown run by Brown.

The game would go back and forth with scores from both teams throughout the second half. They would trade punches until the Hornets drove down the field to regain the lead with Moore’s third rushing touchdown, this one from six yards and a two point conversion to go up 44 to 36 with just over three minutes left in the fourth.

On the following drive Browns pass would be picked off by New Lothrop’s Dylan Shaydik and that would lead to a 13 yard touchdown run by Avery Moore to give the Hornets a 50 to 36 lead with just over a minute left.

“Our defense made big plays with those interceptions, one in in the redzone stopped them from scoring and the one at the end to put us in position to score” Galvis said.

The Eagles would score with 29 seconds left to make it a one score game but were unable to recover the onside kick and New Lothrop was able to run out the clock.